Skip to main content

Another year older, another year wiser...


I once saw a quote that said “Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.”  It’s kind of crazy to think about that.  A little scary too!  Life is moving quickly and I am the youngest I will ever be again. (Physically, maybe not mentallyJ).  I’m not saying that getting older is a bad thing, because with age comes even more blessings every day, I just find it interesting to think that I’m another year older and supposedly another year wiser.

Each year I get older means that there will be another year full of surprises, challenges, heartache, love, joy, and knowledge.  I think I get excited about that.  The part that makes me sad about getting older each year is that life has really started to move quickly.  I’ve already been married for almost 11 months- which is crazy because I feel like I just started wedding planning. I’ve already graduated college- something else that blows my mind because I feel like I just was studying for tests and practicing presentations. AND I’ve already lived in Japan for 7 months- 7 MONTHS.  I remember when Arthur applied for this job, I remember finding out he got accepted, I remember our going away party, packing, the last couple days before leaving.  Now we’ve already been here for over ¼ of our time.  It’s just crazy how fast things can go by.  It seems like day by day nothing is really happening and then when you look back- everything is so different.  That’s the part that makes me sad about getting older.  Time is moving too fast. 

This year I turned 24.   I can hear Arthur’s voice in my head telling me I’m getting old and my child-bearing days are over.  Now that I think about it, wasn’t I just 18?  Didn’t I just turn 21?  Where are the years going?!  I have to say, I’m really excited for this upcoming year.  A full year in Japan.  My first full year as a married woman.  I have a job, I’m learning to cook, be a wifey, and growing as an individual. I’m still sad that Taylor Swift hasn’t made a “23” song and a “24” song yet (you lucked out Uncle Galand), but I can still sing the song… “I don’t know about yo’, I’m feeling twenty-fo’”. Catchy.   

The longer I live, the more I grow to understand myself.  I learn what makes me who I am today, and I learn what good and negative characteristics I have (I have negative ones?!).  The longer I live, the more I also understand those around me- especially those in my generation. I think that I am very similar in ways to my generation in that we are never quite satisfied.  We don’t focus enough on the present and we live for future moments, day dreaming about the next thing every chance we get.  I have to catch myself because often I’ll wish away the week because I’m looking forward to the weekend.  But the weeks can be just as great if I allow them to!  If I focus on each moment for what it is, a chance to spend it will friends, with my husband, working (even work too, can be great if you let it), etc. then I really start to appreciate each day. 
 
I’m extremely guilty of this “not being satisfied” thing. I’m always looking for the next big adventure. However, this is not always a TERRIBLE thing because doing so kind of led me to Japan.

Living abroad is so interesting.  I think people tend to assume that it’s an ongoing adventure that never stops.  I think that’s what I assumed before moving here too. And I have to agree somewhat because living in a different country comes with many adventures and challenges.  But I have to admit that it’s not like living adventure to adventure here.  Just like living anywhere else, I still wake up to an alarm clock, I still get frustrated at traffic on my morning commute to work, I still get home from work tired and with no plan of what to make for dinner, and I still spend many nights curled up on the couch watching TV and movies.  These “normal” moments are what make Japan seem like home to me.  Somehow, I’ve come to really appreciate all those “normal” moments.  I’ve realized that not every moment can hold an adventure or the ones that do would start to lose their magic.
I’ve started to learn that all of these little moments are actually pretty wonderful too.   I don’t have to be swimming in the ocean, skydiving, or trekking through the jungle to be living life to the fullest.  Living life to the fullest can also include breakfast in bed with my husband, Skype dates with family, or dinner with friends and laughing all night. 

I’m thankful for this life and for the people God has placed into it.  I’m thankful for this opportunity to live in Japan with my husband and how it has grown us.  I’m so excited for what the future brings but for now, I’m just trying to focus on the present and how wonderfully incredible that is, too.
♥♥♥
♥♥♥

Comments

  1. Ok. I love this. This could not have come at a better time. It explains exactly what I have been feeling except described much more eloquently than I could have ever mustered. Miss you dearly and really enjoy reading your blog. 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin :) I read your blog the other day and your trip sounds so amazing! What will you be doing in Europe? (besides eating tons of gelato and having a great time haha). You're so sweet though! I miss you so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No words needed.

Names are only so helpful--> but pictures! That's what draws people in.  Could be a memory of a time, or the feeling you get when you picture yourself in that situation.  The power of photography is huge . Pictures can take you back to a moment you had-- one that you could never go back and repeat, and it gives you joy.  Photography can also cause laughter, and quite frequently--embarrassment.  For those pictures, thankfully there is a delete button.  But compare this post to my last one.  Instead of the names of all of the cities and countries to visit on a Eurotrip , try pictures .  See if it entices you more.  These pictures correlate with the list of cities in my previous blogpost... but I will have to split it in half and show you the first fifteen in this post, the last 16 in the next.. :)

Tiffany & Co Bridal Shower

So you've seen my Coral themed bridal shower (For those of you that haven't, you should definitely check it out here ) but as my duties as a maid of honor, I was given the opportunity and privilege to host my cousin's bridal shower.  When I asked her what she wanted as a theme- she knew instantly.  "Breakfast at Tiffany's".  I had no idea how many great ideas I would find on Pinterest under this category, but let me tell you- there was millions!  It was so fun.  We had it this last saturday at the same place I had mine at- so some of the things look pretty similar, just in a different color.  Everyone was asked to wear black which was adorable, and the bride wore a black and white dress so she stood out.  She looked so beautiful.

10 Reasons Why Japan is Wonderful

Japan is a very special, unique little place.  Well- it’s not THAT little. Especially when it holds a population of around 127 million.  But what makes Japan so great?  Because as soon as you step on their soil, you know there is something wonderful about the place.  I’ve compiled a list of interesting characteristics about Japan and its people that have captured my love for this foreign, hello-kitty loving, beautiful place.   CUSTOMER SERVICE.  I haven’t been somewhere that has such great customer service.  They will literally run to get you what you asked for, or run around to try and make sure that the customer is happy.  I once asked about a product in the grocery store and they ran to the back of the store, bagged up what I needed, and ran it back to me in under two minutes. 2.       CUSTOMER SERVICE IN RESTAURANTS The customer service in restaurants is quite different than in the U.S.  Typically, they have a button at the table that you press when you are ready t