Skip to main content

Hello Spring, Sunshine, Humidity, and Anxiety??


So Spring has officially sprung here in Okinawa and it is beautiful.  But with the warmer temperatures in this tropical area come humidity and rain. I have yet to experience rainy season but I heard it starts in April and basically rains everyday for the whole month.  Coming from Oregon I do believe that I have an advantage and that it probably will just remind me of living in Eugene.  The only difference is that it is getting so humid here already.   My hair and I are pretty nervous about what's to come in the summer months considering humidity and myself don't go well together.... that's okay though because I have mentally prepared myself so it should be fine, right?  RIGHT?? sigh…. welcome pony tails and buns for months!

Arthur and I have been having a lot of fun together.  I mean, how could we not?!  We have been married for 7 months and this just feels like  a really long honeymoon.  A really long honeymoon where we get to live and experience a different culture, meet lots of wonderful people, and go for long walks at sunset on the beach.  Kind of sounds like a match.com profile of “interests”.   I like traveling, meeting new people, and long walks on the beach… you get my point.  

This is the adorable little classroom I've been working in on Saturdays :)  The kids just painted the treehouse last week! 



Sometimes I forget to appreciate what I have right in front of me at the time.  Because I don’t have a job, I get to spend my days hanging out with girlfriends, volunteering, going for walks by the water, and like I am doing so currently, hanging out at cafes and trying Japanese coffees.  They really aren't very different from American coffees, but I did see one called “weiner coffee” that I have yet to try and don’t know if I will be doing so haha :)


Arthur and I have started taking Japanese lessons on Monday and Wednesdays and it’s been really fun!  We have learned a little Japanese so far (only 2 classes in) but we’ve enjoyed it a lot. We’ve also realized that the Japanese we have been speaking hasn't been exactly at the right time.. or to the right person.. or meaning what we’ve intended.  Oopsie... 

The bakeries here are seriously so delicious.  They have such strange looking things, but they are so good!  They have egg salad rolls, hot dogs covered with sauce, cheese rolls- it’s hard to explain without actually showing you and letting you try it though.  The sweet pastries range from cinnamon raisin bread shaped like a mouse to french toast covered in powdered sugar and harder than normal.  But they are GOOD and I want them ALL.  It’s a problem.  







I’m currently watching two children (not creepily) play with one of the stray cats that are outside of this cafe I’m in.  Have I mentioned they have stray cats everywhere here??  They are usually cute… some can be kind of scary though.  You should hear them at night… It sounds like the cats have turned into zombies and are attacking each other.  I thought about finding a couple and putting them in our apartment and making them our pets but I really don’t think Arthur would think that was very cute… :)

These "update" posts have been getting harder and harder now that we have settled into life here and I really don't want to bore you guys with what I eat for breakfast, what I saw at the mall, and where Arthur and I have explored to this month.  So I tried to keep that part short and expand more on what I have learned since being here.  Or at least what I am trying to work on since being here.  And one topic seems to keep coming up throughout my days here.  

ANXIETY(This post ended up being longer than I intended so I made it it’s own blog post.  To read about what I have learned about anxiety, check out this blog post :) )


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No words needed.

Names are only so helpful--> but pictures! That's what draws people in.  Could be a memory of a time, or the feeling you get when you picture yourself in that situation.  The power of photography is huge . Pictures can take you back to a moment you had-- one that you could never go back and repeat, and it gives you joy.  Photography can also cause laughter, and quite frequently--embarrassment.  For those pictures, thankfully there is a delete button.  But compare this post to my last one.  Instead of the names of all of the cities and countries to visit on a Eurotrip , try pictures .  See if it entices you more.  These pictures correlate with the list of cities in my previous blogpost... but I will have to split it in half and show you the first fifteen in this post, the last 16 in the next.. :)

Tiffany & Co Bridal Shower

So you've seen my Coral themed bridal shower (For those of you that haven't, you should definitely check it out here ) but as my duties as a maid of honor, I was given the opportunity and privilege to host my cousin's bridal shower.  When I asked her what she wanted as a theme- she knew instantly.  "Breakfast at Tiffany's".  I had no idea how many great ideas I would find on Pinterest under this category, but let me tell you- there was millions!  It was so fun.  We had it this last saturday at the same place I had mine at- so some of the things look pretty similar, just in a different color.  Everyone was asked to wear black which was adorable, and the bride wore a black and white dress so she stood out.  She looked so beautiful.

10 Reasons Why Japan is Wonderful

Japan is a very special, unique little place.  Well- it’s not THAT little. Especially when it holds a population of around 127 million.  But what makes Japan so great?  Because as soon as you step on their soil, you know there is something wonderful about the place.  I’ve compiled a list of interesting characteristics about Japan and its people that have captured my love for this foreign, hello-kitty loving, beautiful place.   CUSTOMER SERVICE.  I haven’t been somewhere that has such great customer service.  They will literally run to get you what you asked for, or run around to try and make sure that the customer is happy.  I once asked about a product in the grocery store and they ran to the back of the store, bagged up what I needed, and ran it back to me in under two minutes. 2.       CUSTOMER SERVICE IN RESTAURANTS The customer service in restaurants is quite different than in the U.S.  Typically, they have a button at the table that you press when you are ready t